BBC Sherlock Bechdel Test
Aaannnddd the results are in! Someone suggested I make one of these for Sherlock. The percentages don’t really work as well, seeing as there are only 6 episodes.
There is something called the Bechdel Test. It’s a scale you run movies through to see how well they represent female characters.
The test is as follows: 1. It must have at least two named female characters. 2. They must speak to each other. 3. They must converse about something other than a man. Anything with a score lower than 3 fails.
I’ve run all of the episodes of BBC Sherlock through this test and here are my results:
Steven Moffat - Study in Pink - 1
Stephen Thompson - Blind Banker - 1
Mark Gattiss - Great Game - 1
Steven Moffat - Scandal in Belgravia - 3
Mark Gattiss - Hounds of Baskerville - 1
Stephen Thompson - Reichenbach - 1
50% of Steven Moffat’s episodes failed.
100% of Stephen Thompson’s episodes failed.
100% of Mark Gatiss’ episodes failed.
83% of episodes failed total.
Ouch. The only passing episode was Scandal in Belgravia, for a scene in which Irene and her assistant(?) Kate talk about what she should wear. They are talking about what she should wear to meet Sherlock, but since he isn’t mentioned, I gave it to them. Also, Mrs. Hudson and Molly might have talked at 221B later, but I already gave this a 3, so I didn’t look.
Sherlock failed badly. They had a number of female characters, but they’re never in the same room as each other. Hopefully next season we’ll get some Mary Morstan and things might change.
I also made one of these for Doctor Who, which you can find here.
I wish I could say that I’m surprised, but I’m not.
134 Notes/ Hide
- veedubbz likes this
- furry-furrets reblogged this from dsmss
- starwhal likes this
- dsmss reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- vcrizzle reblogged this from theoncomingwolf and added:
- rockgarden reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- eliusv reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- hexperiment likes this
- creativedenouement likes this
- oak23 reblogged this from calibornsbottombitch
- rosielaldone reblogged this from calibornsbottombitch
- agentrookie reblogged this from calibornsbottombitch
- earthbytes likes this
- troublesquared likes this
- midnightbluebelle reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- abecediary likes this
- playa-mar-cielo likes this
- innocence-ends reblogged this from theoncomingwolf and added:
- tommcready said: yeah but since you know sherlock is actually about the two male characters i can see how it failed the test since well not many but them get a chance to speak. i’d say donovan does pretty well though
- captainsway reblogged this from permetstuer and added:
- permetstuer reblogged this from stfu-moffat and added:
- sorrydearie reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- bijou-kitten reblogged this from stfu-moffat and added:
- batched likes this
- samuelasaverb reblogged this from returnofthemacspaunday
- therewasabee likes this
- lefayss likes this
- greatscottdoc reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- actuallycrowley reblogged this from themostfeminist and added:
- themostfeminist reblogged this from wheresyourpippinnowbitch
- rennerrsson reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- scyf reblogged this from cryptaniac and added:
- readerwriterthinker likes this
- bisexualpotato reblogged this from agentbering
- thelastbiscuittin reblogged this from gunpowderandspark
- aguhon likes this
- fionacannotfathomconstellations likes this
- von-questenberg likes this
- randomwhisky reblogged this from fuchsimeon and added:
- armchairelvis reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- eveamedeus reblogged this from midnightonthefiringline
- thursdaysoldier reblogged this from wolfbad
- euphoricelixir likes this
- wolfbad reblogged this from stfu-moffat
- i-like-to-obsess likes this
- snugglesfordean reblogged this from jcatgrl
- tseecka reblogged this from midnightonthefiringline and added: